Jul 19, 2007

味軒 (Wei Xuan)

> Location : G/F, No. 60 Connaught Road, Central, Hong Kong
> Cuisine : Chinese/Taiwanese
> Tel. # : (852) 2854-2899
> Website : N/A

Right next to the bridge, fairly close to I.F.C. is a neat little restaurant called Wei Xuan (味軒). Wei Xuan is a small restaurant (seats about 20 or so). There are a few highlights to the place but to me, the best thing is their hot and sour noodle soup! Hot and sour soup is an old doctor's medicine. It uses the healing properties of black fungus, vinegar, white pepper, and chicken broth. Besides these ingredients, bamboo shoots, tofu and shredded pork are commonly used by chefs. At Wei Xuan, they take this soup to the next level and make it into a soup base for noodles!

You can choose from thick or thin noodle (thick noodle is somewhat like Japanese udon), ho fun (flat noodle), and rice noodle to pair with your hot and sour soup. Their are various meat balls and other things you can pair with your noodle soup but to me, the best is the meat ball (pork) with satay stuffing! The meat ball is so good and so juicy that almost every time I bite into it, the juice squirts out! As for the noodle choice, I enjoy the thick noodle a lot. Seemingly, it's like Japanese udon but it's not. But it's slightly chewy and to me, it's great with the thick hot and sour soup base.

Besides this, Shanghai vegetable rice pairing with sweet and sour spare ribs is another excellent selection. I tried this once before and it's definitely something simple yet great. For appetizer, their taro strips spring roll is also a nice selection coming with a nice sweet dipping sauce!

Yet, the highlight is still the hot and sour soup noodle. It is definitely a nice treat once in awhile at Wei Xuan. To me so far and from what I've heard from food lovers, this is definitely their best specialty. I really can critique Wei Xuan entirely (everything it serves) or just focus on what I really had before/liked. But to be fair, I really only had the stuff I talked about above and I can surely give them all above average scores! (From what I heard, everything I had IS the only choices that are truly worthwhile) The Shanghai vegetable rice pairing with sweet and sour spare ribs is good but if it were me, I would go for the hot and sour soup noodle first before anything else! It's more unique for first timers.

So in the end, Wei Xuan is a nice place to go if you're in for something hot, sour and with noodles! Solely giving a score for that, I would give it a 4 out of 5 but with everything else accounted for, I would say about a 3 1/2 out of 5. Please don't let my indecisive nature not make you want to go try it out! Please do try if you enjoy Taiwanese/Shanghainese style cuisine and especially if you're a fan of hot and sour soup! So what's your final verdict Simon?! You're being so wishy washy!! Well, I guess I'll go with my gut feeling...

< 3.5 out of 5 >

0 comments: